Sunday, June 7, 2009

Reinforcement


Yesterday was the much anticipated walk for Cystic Fibrosis. Besides being just plane old fun, it was for a good cause which just added to it. It's very moving to be a part of such a big group taking time out of their lives to raise money and make a stand against an illness that takes the lives of innocents. To see children walk on behalf of their friends, parents crying while they thank you for being there to help find a cure for their children, and to see the kids with CF walking amongst us and laughing and happy because for one day, they aren't alone in the fight. Days like yesterday, I know I made the right decisions in my life that lead me to where I am.
I love all the kids I work with, and knowing that maybe I made a difference in one of their lives. They are the biggest gift in my life. Every one of them makes an impression and changes me and how I work a bit. They say in nursing that comfort comes with experience. In general, they mean practice, that the repetition of certain tasks makes doing your job easier. And to an extent I agree. However, everyday is an experience. Each child unique and special and with something to teach you if you open yourself up to. I personally could do without the repeated sticking tubes into a child. But I couldn't do with not knowing the kids, and not opening myself up to them and their families.
People tell me all the time that they couldn't do what I do and that I'm selfless because of the profession I chose. I disagree. I'm no different than anyone else. And I do my job for completely selfish reasons. My patients make a much bigger impact in my life than I ever will in theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment