Friday, June 12, 2009

Adventures in the produce aisle

Like a good single girl, I went grocery shopping to try to keep my ass out of drive-through's (so what if I bought cookies). It was all going well, my cart was filling up nicely with dietary staples that I found on sale. As I was perusing produce, I hear a call for help. I mean this lady was belting it out! So, in a grocery store, someone is panicking, what would you think happened? For me, the first thing that came to mind was a kid playing around on a shopping cart who fell off or was toppled while trying to climb a shelf. As I head of running towards the shouting, I'm thinking to myself "Kids, I can handle this." Though I was thinking about all the possible injuries and my plan of action once I got there, I figured an ambulance would need to be called in case of head or spinal trauma from the fall, etc, etc. So, when I get to all the commotion, I panic. There sprawled on the floor is a old man. What the hell was I supposed to do now?!?! I don't know what to do with old people!!! So I talk myself down (all of this taking seconds, mind you) and tell myself to start with the ABC's. He had an airway, had chest rise so he was breathing, and I checked his pulse for circulation. Gotta love trauma training. At this point I had gotten myself under control, and he was responsive so I was I was asking him questions as well as trying to figure out what he could have injured on his way down. I ask him to move everything, all extremities moves except his right foot. Moment of panic/horror/dread. Crap, he hurt something in his spine. I have him try again, still nothing. Everything went cold. Then he tells me his right leg is a prosthetic. Really?!?! Couldn't have told me when I started this exercise? Sheesh. The long and short of it is, everything that should move did, he was coherent, and there was no obvious bleeding. Against his better judgement, I got him off the floor and into a chair (because of course, a little lady like me couldn't lift a big strapping man like him). Paramedics came, and I was done. Finished my shopping shaking like a leaf, and got my ass home. If I didn't have to work tonight, I would so be having a beer right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment